Thomas Bach said the International Olympic Committee (IOC) is leaving no stone unturned in addressing corruption after French prosecutors expanded an investigation into the award of the 2016 and 2020 Games.
The IOC on Tuesday said there is “no evidence” thus far to support allegations of possible bribery in the bidding process for the next two Olympics in Rio and Tokyo.
That came after the Guardian newspaper reported that prosecutors in France have widened their investigation into corruption in world track and field to include bidding for the events.
And IOC president Bach insisted on Wednesday the organisation is doing all it can to tackle corruption.
“The IOC has done as much as any organisation can do to address the issue of corruption. We have all rules and instruments in place to fight corruption with zero tolerance,” said Bach.
“We’re not waiting to get information from outside. We’re looking for information actively ourselves in order to address all potential issues at the earliest possible moment with zero tolerance.
“In this case, when there were first rumours, we have addressed the French authorities to provide us with the necessary information and so far we have no evidence whatsoever in this respect.”
Download our mobile app today.