Schalke have rejected an offer from Juventus for Germany international Julian Draxler.
Juve have already reached an agreement with Draxler over a move to the Serie A champions, although Massimiliano Allegri’s side are yet to have met Schalke’s valuation of the player.
The Champions League finalists lodged an initial bid of €15 million plus €5m in bonuses, but Schalke are determined to hold out for €35m.
The Gelsenkirchen club’s sporting director, Horst Heldt, has since confirmed to SID that Juve must improve their offer if they hope to land the 21-year-old.
“We have checked the offer, which was out of the question for us,” he said.
Should he make the move to Turin, Draxler will earn wages totalling €3.7m a year, plus bonuses, as Juve look to add a marquee signing to their squad with Arturo Vidal on the verge of completing a move to Bayern Munich.
Allegri, who could also lose Paul Pogba in the summer transfer window, has long been chasing an attacking player who can comfortably fill a No.10 slot as Juve look to make it five Serie A titles on the spin in 2015-16.
Draxler’s contract at the Veltins Arena runs to 2018 although his current deal does not contain a release clause, with the previous €45m fee having expired on June 30.
Juve are expected to return with an improved bid for Draxler, with Allegri having previously hinted that the club are “working” on a deal to sign the attacking midfielder.
Heldt, however, has claimed they would be wasting their time.
“I have informed Juventus that we reject the offer and that we are no longer willing to let Juve contact the player,” he said. “There will be no more negotiations. Why should Julian be disappointed? Everything is okay. It is over now. Now we can focus on Schalke again.”