An alleged case of poisoning, after a young British tennis player fell ill during Wimbledon, is being investigated by the Metropolitan Police.
Gabriella Taylor, 18, was forced to retire in the quarter-final of the junior tournament through illness and subsequently spent several days in intensive care as her condition deteriorated.
She suffered symptoms of a disease diagnosed as Leptospirosis that was then unknown with it mostly a bacteria that is spread by animals.
Taylor’s illness was so severe that after four days in an intensive care unit in Southampton her mother didn’t believe she would survive.
“She was on the brink of death,” Milena Taylor told the Daily Telegraph.
Scotland Yard informed the media that the case was being investigated to determine whether the teenager was deliberately poisoned with intent to endanger life.
A complaint was received by the police on August 5 and the authorities have outlined what they know of the case thus far.
“The victim became ill on July 6, it is not known where or when the poison was ingested and so far there have been no arrests with the investigation continuing,” read a statement.
It was initially thought it was a severe case of food poisoning which prompted the tournament’s organisers to check whether or not any other players had been affected.
Whilst it is incredibly rare in the United Kingdom for such a bacteria to be found naturally, medical expert Dr Marga Goris at the Leptospirosis Reference Centre in the Netherlands believe the idea of deliberate poisoning is far-fetched.
“If you really wanted to poison someone, you would choose another method,” she told the Guardian.
Download our mobile app today.