Rafael Nadal is not concerned by the Zika virus as he prepares to start his Rio Open campaign against Pablo Carreno Busta.
Top seed and world number five Nadal said he would not change his routine in fear of contracting the virus which has made Brazil the centre of a World Health Organization (WHO) declared global public health emergency.
No vaccine or treatment exists for the virus, but Nadal said if he were to contract it, it would just be unfortunate.
“I’m going out at night. I’m not scared. I’m not worried about this,” the 29-year-old said ahead of his showdown with Carreno Busta on Tuesday.
“If it happens, it’s bad luck.”
His sentiments were echoed by fellow Spaniard and defending Rio Open champion David Ferrer, although he said he would be wearing long sleeves and trousers when out socially.
“I’ll try to take precautions, but I’m not obsessed about it,” he said.
Nadal is coming off the back of a disappointing Argentina Open, where he lost in the semi-final to Austrian world number 19 Dominic Thiem in three sets last week.
The 14-time grand slam champion was an early exit from the Australian Open too, where he exited in the first round after losing to countryman Fernando Verdasco.
Download our mobile app today.