Marcelo backs Cristiano Ronaldo for Fifa Ballon d’Or

The Brazilian hits out at Uefa boss Michel Platini and says his team-mate has to retain the award

Real Madrid defender Marcelo says it is “more than clear” that team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo should win the Fifa Ballon d’Or.

Uefa president Michel Platini spoke out earlier this week to say that the award should go to a member of Germany’s World Cup-winning squad rather than the Portuguese.

Madrid responded with an official statement criticising the Frenchman for his comments and Marcelo has backed Ronaldo to retain the coveted prize he won in 2013.

“We know who has to win, the answer is more than clear, but we only speak about it when you ask us questions,” the Brazilian told AS.

“We haven’t discussed it much in the dressing room. But if you ask questions, we’ll answer them.”

On Platini, Marcelo added: “There are certain people who shouldn’t make a comment.”

Ronaldo’s Ballon d’Or win last year ended Lionel Messi’s four-year reign as the world’s best player and both men have been named on the 23-man shortlist for 2014.

While Messi set a new La Liga goalscoring record of 253 goals last week, Ronaldo helped Madrid win the Champions League last season and has scored 26 goals in 20 games this term.

He was not on the scoresheet in the 2-1 win against Malaga on Saturday, but he provided the assists for Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale as the league leaders claimed a club-record 16th consecutive victory.

Marcelo said:  “We have achieved the record, but with hard work and great dedication. There are some days when the ball doesn’t want go in, but our goal is to win every game.”

Barcelona hold the record of 18 consecutive victories from October 2005 to January 2006: 13 wins in the league, three Champions League triumphs and two victories in the Copa del Rey.