Kotoko see off Ashanti Gold in FA Cup

10-man Ashanti Gold were knocked out of the MTN FA by Asante Kotoko at the Baba Yara Sports Stadium on Wednesday.

The Porcupine Warriors scored in each half through Prince Baffoe and Atta Poku.

Asante Kotoko who have been inconsistent this season threw everything upfront in the early minutes of the game and could have gone ahead, but referee Amoah disallowed Jack Owusu’s header for foul play.

Ashanti Gold settled after 15 minutes to make the game more balanced, but Kotoko enjoyed greater part of the exchanges.

Kotoko shot ahead through Prince Baffoe in a controversial goalmouth melee in the 38th minute. Goalkeeper Robert Dabuo was beaten after a challenge by Prince Baffoe which led in the match opener.

Just some few minutes following Kotoko’s lead, the center referee surprising sent off Ashgold’s sensational young chap Osei Baffour for changing his decision to reduce their numerical strength.

Back from recess, the tempo of the game increased again, with Ashanti Gold dictating play, but Kotoko’s left back Atta Kusi stunned the spectators when he dribbled past two players before slotting the ball to beat Nana Bonsu who had just come on for Robert Dabuo, after he failed to continue play for an injury he experienced in the first half.

Ashanti after conceding the second goal seized the midfield and pinned Kotoko to their own half of the pitch. However they wasted the opportunities that came their way and in a move should have given them a consolation the referee disallowed the resultant goal for a hand ball situation.

Kotoko in the die embers of the game should have increased their tally, but misses from Ahmed Toure and his other team mates denied them additional goals.

At the end Ahgold failed to break the jinx of Kotoko in the FA Cup, because they have never beaten them in the history of the competition.

Bashiru Hayford in a post match interview told the press that Osei Baffour confided in him that he used the F-word on the referee and that resulted in his matching off orders, however the player should have been cautioned instead, because he was frustrated by the Kotoko players.

“Osei Baffour told me after the red card that he used the F-word on the referee, but I believe it should have been a caution instead, because he was frustrated by the Kotoko players and the referee failed to protect him”.

Kotoko will take on Aduana Stars in semi finals of the MTN FA Cup.