Stephen Keshi has said he is far from impressed with a new deal offered him by Nigeria, describing the proposal as “a slave contract”.
A debate has raged whether 52-year-old Keshi should be given a new contract after he failed to qualify the Super Eagles to the recent Africa Cup of Nations in Equatorial Guinea.
His initial contract of three years ran out after last year’s World Cup in Brazil, where Nigeria reached the knockout stage.
After a long wait, Keshi, who led Nigeria to win the 2013 Nations Cup, said he has received his new contract from the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), but has been far from impressed what has been offered him.
“From the clauses I have seen so far, I don’t know what words to use but the contract can be described as a ‘slave contract’”, he remarked probably in reference to clauses which make him answerable to several persons and committees.
It was learnt that Keshi has now been offered a two-year contract effective from March 1, 2015 with him to meet several targets or else the deal is off.
He should reach the semifinal of the 2016 Championship of African Nations and also the last four of the 2017 Nations Cup or the contract will be called off at “the absolute discretion” of his employers.
He will also have to sign a code of conduct.
Keshi himself revealed that he will be paid five million Naira (less than $25,000), which was what he also received during his initial contract.
This week, the former Togo and Mali coach lost out to Franco-German Gernot Rohr in the race to handle Burkina Faso.
In March, Nigeria are billed to play two friendly matches against Bolivia and Ghana.