GPL Match Report: Wafa 2-0 Kotoko – Poor start for Porcupine Warriors

Wafa and Asante Kotoko kicked off the Ghana Premier League new season on Saturday in Sogakope after a long wait and it was the Academy boys who came out victorious thanks to a goal in each half of the game from Charles Boateng and Samuel Tetteh.

Kotoko coach David Duncan surprisingly handed Felix Annan the starting role in post ahead of Eric Ofori Antwi and Elvis partnered Obed Owusu upfront after star striker Dauda Mohammed failed late fitness test but Wafa started with a familiar line up.

The game started on a fast pace with Wafa passing the ball around with swagger and making their intention of carrying the day clear.

Gideon Waja produced the first shot on target but goalkeeper Annan, who was facing his former club after a successful loan spell at the same facility last season, reacted superbly to divert the effort from a long range to corner kick.

The youngster came close again after 13th minute following a threatening run from Charles Boateng but again missed the target.

Wafa continued to spurn another chance after a counter-attack when Tetteh fired into the side-netting and Annan was called on duty again but Kotoko finally settled and looked deadly upfront.

Boateng, with seven minutes to hit the half-hour mark, clashed with Annan, who was stretched off, with Eric Ofori Antwi replacing.

Atta Kusi also came on for Edwin Tuffour few minutes later following injury concerns.

Charles Boateng finally broke the deadlock after heading home Tetteh’s rebound on 40th minute. Goalkeeper Antwi produced a wonderful save but his defenders were caught ball watching and Boateng headed it in coolly.

Kototo’s distance behind a dominant Wafa side was underlined by the two substitutions – goalkeeper and left-back at half-time but it brought no significant upturn in their fortunes.

Tetteh scored with a near-post finish early in second half to settle the game for Killa’s side.

Tetteh, who returned from his trial with Swedish side Malmo FF, latched onto a long ball from Waja and out-muscled two defenders before unleashing a shot past substitute goalkeeper Antwi on 48th minute.

Obed Owusu came close to reducing the deficit for Kotoko when Eric Donkor neatly set him up but his finish went too wide. Bennett Ofori and Michael Yeboah also fluffed several goal opportunities to heap more frustration on their travelling supporters who began leaving the pitch even before the final whistle.

Kotoko will have a free day on match day two since their opponent Ashanti Gold will be in Algeria by then to play the second leg of the Caf Champions League against M.O Bejaia.

Wafa will travel to Berekum to lock horns with Berekum Chelsea.

Download our mobile app today.

Android – Google Play Store