GPL Match Report: Hasaacas 0-1 Liberty – Hasaacas defeated at home

Ghana Premier League club Sekondi Hasaacas were defeated at home by Liberty Professions on Sunday as the woes of the Sekondi based club deepened.

The Dansoman lads deserved a point for their work rate but when luck smiled on them in the dying embers of the additional five minutes, substitute Bernard Arthur touched the ball into a yawning net as an already disappointed crowd suffered a heartbreak.

The goal was as a result of pure miscommunication between captain Daniel Egyin and his goalkeeper Michael Abu. Egyin, who was shielding an attacking ball decided to nod the ball for his goalkeeper but Abu had come out to grab the ball. The consequence was an open net which needed a helpless touch of the rolling ball from Arthur to receive it into its bosom for a goal.

Time was almost up and not even the extended additional five minutes could still salvage anything for Hasaacas as Liberty celebrated their first away win in nine league matches.

Despite the hapless performance from Hasaacas, they went close to scoring before being shocked. On the stroke of half time, Samuel Afful’s shot rattled the post after a good one-two play between him and Eric Bekoe.

Before that, Bekoe had put Afful through with a first touch pass but the finish lacked power as goalkeeper Eric Andoh saved it.

Afful also came close with a header to Augustine Arhinful’s cross in the 20th minute. The striker in the 46th minute after blocking Samuel Sarfo who had fail to deal with an aerial ball, headed loosely into the hands of Andoh.

On the other side, Latif Blessing, the diminutive playmaker for Liberty was receiving close marking and hard tackles. The youngster had just few good moments in the game. A dribble on the touchline at the center line, his shot from 18 yards which was parried by Abu and a goal he was denied in the 37th minute because the referee deemed his first touch before nodding in the ball as a foul on Abu.

Latif finally limped out of the game in the 77th minute with a plaster on his face for a previous challenge. When his team scored, he joined the celebration and even choreographed a dance move with Arthur.

That was exactly the opposite for Daniel Egyin, the defender who largely kept Latif at bay. Egyin had fainted from the hard punch he received from his own goalkeeper and Michael Abu himself was inconsolable after the final whistle.

Download our mobile app today.

Android – Google Play Store