Ghana FA heads for congress today despite King Faisal contempt claims

The Ghana Football Association’s Ordinary Congress will be reconvened today despite threats from King Faisal’s lawyer that they will be in contempt of court if the important annual meeting goes ahead.

The GFA executive committee met on Monday to prepare for today’s meeting to be held at the Ghanaman Soccer Centre of Excellence, Prampram to pave the way for the season to start.

The annual congress which was earlier convened on September 12 was postponed following a court injunction filed by King Faisal FC but following a ruling by a Human Rights Court last week the GFA is convinced they can go ahead with the meeting.

Amongst the items on the agenda, Congress will formally usher in the 2014/2015 football calendar.

However, Lawyer for King Faisal Egbert Fabille Jnr says the GFA will be charged for contempt claiming the court has not written formally to the Ghana FA granting them a permit to congregate.

“The court has to give them an order before they can hold Congress. If they go ahead to hold it, then that will be a contempt of court and we will take them on,” Fabille Jnr told Accra based radio station Happy FM.

His assertion has been rubbished by the GFA’s lawyer who asked why the court would ask the federation to sign an agreement to readmit King Faisal if it win the legal case.