GFA not aware of Black Stars salary cut – Kwesi Nyantakyi

Ghana Football Association (GFA) president, Kwesi Nyantakyi, says the association is not aware of the cut in winning bonuses for the senior national team, Black Stars, as being rumoured.

According to Mr Nyantakyi, the FA has not been notified either verbally or formally by the Youth and Sports Ministry (MOYS) and it will be a serious breach of trust if such a major policy change is implemented without the involvement or knowledge of the FA.

Reacting to an alleged revelation from the Deputy Minister of Sports, Vincent Oppong Asamoah on an Accra-based FM station, Asempa FM, that a decision had been taken to slash the Stars’ bonus from $10,000 to $5,000 as recommended by the Justice Dzamefe Commission, the GFA capo said he was also equally surprised at such news as his outfit should have been briefed first, so it would in turn relay it to the players.

“The GFA deals directly with the Stars and is the link between the team and the ministry. Any review in bonus, either upward or downwards must be discussed with us first. I can say that no one has raised the issue with the FA either formally or casually and, therefore, can not accept it as true.

“If indeed it were true, then it would be a serious breach of trust between all parties. At the moment, the relationship is cordial and I don’t think anyone would want to do anything to negatively affect such cordiality.

“Of course, the government who pays the bonuses reserves the right to review it, but I believe the proper medium must be used to make such an announcement, not as we have heard being bandied around,” Mr Nyantakyi told the Graphic Sports last Sunday.

In a sharp reaction, the deputy minister, Sunday denied ever making those revelations, insisting no such decision had been taken and if it had, he would not have been the one to make the announcement as there was a substantive head at the ministry.

“This is a major policy decision so if such an announcement has to be made, it would not come from me. So far as I’m concerned, no such discussion nor decision has been made. I have never said that the Stars’ bonus is to be slashed at any forum, either private or public and I would want to make that clear,” the Deputy Minister said on Accra-based Kasapa FM.

Source:graphic.com.gh