The Ghana FA says it will no longer challenge CAF’s decision to ban the Black Starlets from the 2017 Africa Junior Championships over an age-cheating charge.
The Ghana U17 have been banned from next year’s tournament to be staged in Niger following a successful protest by Cameroon in the final qualifier.
CAF’s Disciplinary and Appeal’s bodies have ruled that the Black Starlets used an over-aged player in their qualifier against Cameroon and are thus replacing Ghana with the Junior Indomitable Lions.
The GFA had earlier hinted at their preparedness to fight the decision even up to the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) to secure ‘justice’.
The Ghana FA have backtracked from that stance following an Executive Committee meeting a day after CAF’s Appeal’s body affirmed the decision taken by its Disciplinary Committee.
Ghana FA President Kwesi Nyantakyi in confirming his outfit’s decision to no longer contest CAF’s verdict to the media on Thursday says: ‘All cases must end sometime.’
This means Ghana will not be part of the eight teams – including hosts – that have qualified the tournament.
It is however unclear if Ghana will face anymore sanctions beyond the ban from the tournament.