Luis Figo says “football has lost” after Sepp Blatter was re-elected as Fifa president on Friday and again called for him to quit his post.
The 79-year-old beat off competition from Jordan’s Prince Ali to hold on to his position, which will see him serve a fifth term as the head of the game’s governing body.
Blatter polled 133 votes to his rival’s 73, which would have been enough to take the contest into a second round of voting, but Ali opted to withdraw.
His victory comes as Fifa is embroiled in a major investigation that began earlier this week, which saw US authorities make seven arrests and charge 14 senior executives on suspicion of bribery and corruption.
Figo – who originally intended to run for presidency before withdrawing in a bid not to split the vote and aid Blatter’s campaign – said he was devastated by the result.
“Today was another dark day in Zurich,” said the Portugal legend. “Fifa has lost, but above everything, football has lost and everyone who truly cares about it has lost too.
“Mr. Blatter had a very cynical reaction when he said that he couldn’t control everyone. It offends everyone’s intelligence. These persons, whom Mr. Blatter has promoted through years, turned, with him, Fifa in to a decadent organisation.
“If Mr. Blatter were minimally concerned about football, he would have given up of the re-election. If he has a minimal of decency, he will resign in the next few days.”