Floyd Mayweather Jr. is set to snub Amir Khan’s continued pleas for a September bout, with the undefeated American insisting his next opponent will either be Andre Berto or Karim Mayfield.
As noted by Rajvir Rai of the MailOnline, Khan heads a host of names, including Kell Brook, Keith Thurman and Gennady Golovkin, to have been linked with a showdown with the 38-year-old star later in the year—a bout that is tipped to be Mayweather’s final fight.
But it seems increasingly likely that Money’s next opponent will come from left field: “I’m going to fight Andre Berto or Karim Mayfield in September,” said Mayweather to Dan Rafael of ESPN.com, relayed in Rai’s piece. Asked if he was serious, Money is reported to have responded with “S–t happens.”
Floyd said he’ll fight Berto or Mayfield next. I asked if he was kidding. He seemed to be serious. Said Pacquiao fought Algieri so why not?
— Dan Rafael (@danrafaelespn) June 21, 2015
As reported by Rai, Mayweather also dismissed the possibility of fighting Khan to Boxing News 24, answering “no” when quizzed on the prospect after the recent bout between Shawn Porter and Adrien Broner.
In the same piece, Money also admitted his opponent could change depending on the type of mood in which he finds himself: “I mean, every fighter, you know. One of those guys could upset Floyd Mayweather, you never know. It’s the Mayweather sweepstakes, who’s gonna hit the lottery. It all depends on how I feel.”
The scheduled September date would be Money’s 49th fight, and after the hyperbolic buildup to his showdown with Manny Pacquiao earlier in the year, the prospect of Mayweather signing off his career against Berto or Mayfield is somewhat underwhelming.