Federer sidelined after undergoing knee surgery

Roger Federer will be out of action for up to a month after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery in Switzerland to repair a torn meniscus, his agent at TEAM8 Tony Godsick told Reuters on Wednesday.

The 17-time Grand Slam champion suffered the injury the day after his Australian Open run ended in the semi-finals last week.

Federer, 34, has withdrawn from the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam (February 8-21) and the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships in Dubai (February 22-27).

“I am so disappointed to have to miss Rotterdam and Dubai as they are two of my favourite tournaments on the ATP World Tour,” said Federer, who is the reigning champion in Dubai having won the title for the seventh time last March.

“While this is an unfortunate setback, I feel grateful that up until now I have remained mostly healthy throughout my career,” the 34-year-old Swiss added.

“My doctors have ensured me that the surgery was a success and with proper rehabilitation, I will be able to return to the Tour soon.”

I want to inform you that yesterday I underwent arthroscopic surgery on my knee. I injured my knee the day after the…

Posted by Roger Federer onĀ Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The world number three has won two Rotterdam trophies among his 88 career titles.

Federer’s incredible longevity

This news comes as such a surprise as Federer has been so careful to avoid injury throughout his career. In fact, he has never once missed a Grand Slam tournament due to fitness concerns – a period spanning 17 years.

The last time Federer was not in the main draw of a Grand Slam was in the 1999 US Open, when he only made it to the second round of qualifying.

But his recovery time after this surgical procedure will give him more than enough time to recover for the French Open at Roland Garros, meaning this amazing run is set to continue.

Download our mobile app today.

Android – Google Play Store