Dauda Mohammed deepens Hearts of Oak relegation worries

Kumasi Asante Kotoko beat Hearts of Oak 2-1 at the Accra sports stadium to win the much talked about super clash on Sunday as Dauda Mohammed’s late strike sank the Phobians to hand the Accra based side their 3rd loss at home.

Amos Frimpong struck first for the away side but Inusah Musa drew level for the home side and Dauda Mohammed’s strike was what Kotoko needed to win the day.

A battle of 14th and 12th placed teams saw an enterprising game at the Accra sports stadium as both sides exhibited quality football on the day.

It was the Phobians who called the first shot, just two minutes inside the first half after Foovi Aguidi failed to connect Isaac Oduro’s laid back pass. The Porcupine Warriors gathered and started passing the ball among themselves which in the 8th and 10th minute they created space at Hearts of Oak back Inusah Musah saved the situation for the home side.

The tempo of the game kept on increasing; Hearts of Oak pinched Kotoko midfield and a through pass from Emmanuel Hayford found Keneth Okoro but had his shot parried away by Ofori Antwi in the 12th minute, a minute later Kotoko initiated a good move on the left side of Hearts of Oak  defense but Atta Kusi palmed off Tetteh Lugard.

However, in the 22nd minute referee  Ametepey awarded a penalty for Hearts of Oak claiming that Isaac Oduro was fouled by Abeiku Ainooson which saw a vigorous protest from Kotoko players, calm was restored  and Hearts captain selected himself for the kick but failed to beat Ofori Antwi.

After the Phobians failed to register the first goal, they got punished by the Porcupine Warriors in the 24th minute, Jackson Owusu initiated a beautiful attack from Kotoko’s midfield thread through Sarfo Gyamfi, Isaac Oduro came and rescued the Phobians, the resulted corner kick was neatly headed home by Amos Frimpong,

The home side re-grouped and committed more men forward by Ofori Antwi stood his ground and thwarted the chances the Phobians had.

Kotoko looked more composed leading 1-0, they came close to getting their second goal but Robin Gnagne cleared  his lines to keep the strikers of Kotoko at bay. The Phobians tried everything they could but their best was not enough as the first half ended.

Kotoko started the second half as the strongest side and created goal scoring opportunities but they fluffed their line, the Phobians failed to curtail Kotoko quick passing movement, the away side kept the heat on the Phobians searching for their second goal and against the round of play in the 61st minute, Hearts had a free kick and Inusah Musah rose above Kotoko defenders to pull even for the Phobians.

Now the table turns in favour of the Phobians, they dominated play and they nearly registered their second goal but Foovi Aguidi dragged his shot wide.

Both sides kept their midfield and defense intact but it was the away side who pushed for the match winner which they had in the 83rd minute and it was Dauda Mohammed who had it after a goal melee in Hearts of Ok penalty box.

The Phobians failed to respond as the Porcupine Warriors held on to win the game 2-1.

The results means Hearts of Oak drop to the 15th position as Kotoko climb to the 8th position on the log sheet.