Real Madrid CF, FC Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain, Borussia Dortmund, FC Bayern München and FC Porto are through but who can join them on matchday five?
Real Madrid CF, FC Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain, Borussia Dortmund, FC Bayern München and FC Porto are through to the UEFA Champions League group stage but which of the ten remaining places could be filled with a game to spare on 25/26 November? We explain …
TUESDAY 25 NOVEMBER
PFC CSKA Moskva (4 pts) v AS Roma (4)
Manchester City FC (2) v FC Bayern München (12)
• Bayern have won the group.
• Roma would be through with victory if City fail to win.
• CSKA would be through only if they beat Roma by a scoreline which gives them a head-to-head edge on the Serie A team, and if City fail to win.
• City must win or hope the other match finishes as a draw to remain in contention.
APOEL FC (1) v FC Barcelona (9)
Paris Saint-Germain (10) v AFC Ajax (2)
• Paris are through and will win the group if they gain victory and Barcelona lose.
• Barcelona are through and as long as they do not lose they will be able to overtake Paris when they visit on 10 December.
• Ajax cannot finish in the top two but would ensure a UEFA Europa League place if they win and APOEL lose.
• APOEL will definitely be able to pip Ajax to third when they play in Amsterdam on 10 December if the Cypriot side do not lose against Barcelona.
FC Schalke 04 (5) v Chelsea FC (8)
Sporting Clube de Portugal (4) v NK Maribor (3)
• Chelsea will be through with a win or any draw in which they score two goals or more.
• Schalke will go top with a win but cannot go through or be eliminated for now.
• Sporting will be out if they lose.
• Maribor will be out if they lose, or if they draw and Schalke win. Maribor will finish fourth if they lose and Schalke win.
FC BATE Borisov (3) v FC Porto (10)
FC Shakhtar Donetsk (8) v Athletic Club (1)
• Porto are through and will ensure first place if they win and Shakhtar do not.
• Shakhtar can only be knocked out if they lose both remaining games and BATE pick up six points.
• BATE will ensure at least UEFA Europa League football if they win and Athletic do not.
• Athletic cannot finish in the top two; if BATE win, the Spanish side must also do so to stay in contention for third spot.
WEDNESDAY 26 NOVEMBER
Club Atlético de Madrid (9) v Olympiacos FC (6)
Malmö FF (3) v Juventus (6)
• Atlético will be through with a win, or a draw if Juventus lose.
• Olympiacos can only go through on matchday five if they win and Juventus draw.
• Juventus cannot be knocked out even with a loss while a point will ensure a top-three place.
• Malmö must avoid defeat at the very least to stay in contention. If they pick up fewer points than Olympiacos, Malmö will finish fourth.
FC Basel 1893 (6) v Real Madrid CF (12)
PFC Ludogorets Razgrad (3) v Liverpool FC (3)
• Madrid are through and will clinch first place as long as Basel do not win by a scoreline which gives them the head-to-head edge on the European champions.
• Basel will be through if they win and Liverpool do not win.
• Liverpool can ensure a top-three finish with victory, but even then they will definitely need three points against Basel on 9 December to have a chance of coming second.
• Ludogorets will be out of Europe with a loss, and cannot finish in the top two if they draw or Basel win.
FC Zenit (4) v SL Benfica (4)
Bayer 04 Leverkusen (9) v AS Monaco FC (5)
• Leverkusen will clinch the group with a win and will be through with a draw.
• Monaco cannot go through with a game to spare even if they win in Germany.
• Zenit will be out if they lose and Monaco win. Zenit won away to Benfica so another victory will ensure at least a top-three finish.
• Benfica will be out with a draw if Monaco win (because the best they could then hope for after matchday six is a three-way tie in which they could not possibly finish in the top two). Defeat eliminates Benfica from Europe if Monaco win.
Arsenal FC (7) v Borussia Dortmund (12)
RSC Anderlecht (2) v Galatasaray AŞ (1)
• Dortmund are through and will clinch the group with a point.
• Arsenal will be through with a draw, or if the other game is drawn.
• Anderlecht need to win both their remaining games and hope Arsenal do not pick up another point. However, a win ensures Anderlecht at least third place.
• Galatasray need to win, hope Arsenal lose, and then beat the Gunners on 9 December by a scoreline that gives them the head-to-head advantage on the London side.
Although all reasonable care has been taken that the information is accurate, no representation or guarantee is made as to its reliability or completeness. All outcomes are subject to official confirmation from UEFA following the conclusion of the group stage.