Carlo Ancelotti insists he was not approached by Liverpool before the club decided to appoint Jurgen Klopp as their new manager.
Harry Redknapp alleged last week that Ancelotti had been the Reds’ first choice to succeed Brendan Rodgers, who was sacked after the Merseyside derby draw with Everton at Goodison Park on October 4, but that the Italian turned the job down.
However, Ancelotti insisted that he was never sounded out about assuming the hot seat at Anfield.
“With Liverpool, there was no contact,” he told Goal. “When a job becomes available, they always use the names of the coaches currently without a team, so, my name was thrown out there.
“But I never had any direct contact with the directors of Liverpool.”
Ancelotti has also been mentioned as a possible successor to Italy coach Antonio Conte, who is being tipped to stand down when his contract expires after Euro 2016.
However, Ancelotti says that international football does not appeal to him at this point in his career.
“For now, there’s a desire to continue coaching a club because I’m still motivated by being on the pitch every day,” the 56-year-old added.
“Coaching national teams is more restrictive as there’s not the time to coach on a daily basis, which is what I enjoy.”