AC Milan boss Inzaghi denies bust-up with Cerci

The former striker says he explained to the forward why he played so little against Cesena and admits he is desperate to help save Parma

AC Milan head coach has denied claims of a bust-up with forward Alessio Cerci.

Reports suggested the Italy international had been furious at only being given just over four minutes of action in the 2-0 victory over Cesena last Sunday.

“Things have come out that aren’t true,” Inzaghi told a press conference.

“Things that need to be resolved are resolved in the dressing room. If that had happened, Cerci wouldn’t be in the squad.

“After the game, Alessio was disappointed he’d only played a few minutes. I explained to him that [Riccardo] Montolivo had asked to be taken off, and [Andrea] Poli was tired.

“I couldn’t have made the change sooner. He asked for an explanation, I gave him one, and he accepted it.

“I wanted him at Milan, and there’s no problem. When he came on his attitude was positive. He’s played a lot since he came here.”

Inzaghi also remains confident Cerci can play alongside Jeremy Menez – whom he replaced against Genoa – but hinted that further attacking options are needed to accommodate a system using them both.

“I think he and Menez can play well together, but we still don’t have the physical conditions to back an attack in that way,” he said.

“Choosing between Cerci and Menez is difficult. If one of them doesn’t play from the beginning, he has to prove to me that he should be starting the next game.”

Inzaghi went on to defend the form of Mattia Destro, however, after he struggled to make an impact against Cesena.

“I don’t see any problems. I tell him to play freely and be in the box for crosses. I’m happy with what he’s doing and what [Giampaolo] Pazzini is doing,” Inzaghi said.

“We expect a lot from him but it’s not easy to score a goal every game. He played a normal game against Cesena, then I put Pazzini on. But Destro didn’t have a bad game.”

The former Italy striker added he is desperate to help Parma escape their financial peril after club captain Alessandro Lucarelli confirmed they would not play their scheduled game against Genoa.

“It saddens me greatly. Milan and I are ready to do anything to help the situation. I know tomorrow we’ll have a 15 minute delay before kick-off,” he said.

“Everyone has an interest in making sure Parma can sort this out. We’re all ready to save the glorious club they are, and the people who are there.”